Residents and Business and Property Owners
Sarasota County utilizes the CodeRED Notification System - an ultra high-speed telephone communication service - for emergency notifications.
This system allows us to send critical communications to all or targeted areas within the county in case of a situation that requires immediate action.
The message will play when answered by a live person or an answering machine and makes three attempts to connect to each number.
The calling number will display 866-419-5000 for emergencies, 855-969-4636 for non-emergencies, and 800-566-9780 for weather warnings. To hear the last message delivered, simply dial the number back.
Your contact information remains private and will only be used for critical communications.
This system will ONLY be used for PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY and WELLNESS purposes. Examples of times when the CodeRED system could be used:
- drinking water contamination,
- extended utility outages,
- evacuation notice and route,
- missing person,
- fires, floods, bomb threat, hostage situation, chemical spill or gas leak, and other incidents where rapid and accurate notification is essential for life safety.
- The opt-in weather warning service will automatically notify those registered of tornado, flash flood and severe thunderstorm voice alert warnings just minutes after an alert is issued by the National Weather Service.
Frontier Communications, formerly known as Verizon, provides published and unpublished land-based telephone numbers for EMERGENCY USE ONLY. By default, these numbers will be in the CodeRED system. You will not receive a notification call if you have any of the following situations:
- Your phone service is not provided by Frontier Communications (including Verizon cellular service).
- You reside or work in a complex (such as condominium, hotel, office building) where there is a master switch for an internal phone system.
- You only have a cellular phone, including all wireless carriers.
- You have a telephone answering system that does any of the following:
- Does not record messages that have a pause in the greeting.
- Does not record messages that asks the caller to press any key to hear the important message.
- Does not record automated messages.
- Does not record messages from unknown callers or toll free numbers.
Residents and business and property owners in Sarasota County are urged to register their contact information in CodeRED, which may include cell phone and other land-based numbers, so they may receive CodeRED calls and alerts for emergency events.
The link below will allow residents and business and property owners to download the CodeRED Mobile Alert application: