Residential Collection Services
Curbside garbage and recycling collection services are provided to residents in unincorporated parts of Sarasota County by Waste Management.
- Garbage, yard waste and recyclable items are all collected on the same day.
- Containers/items may be placed at the curb beginning at 5 p.m. the day before collection, and should be curbside by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- Empty containers should be brought in from the curb by 10 a.m. on the day following collection.
- Yard waste should be placed separately from garbage and recyclables at the curb for collection.
- Bagged, containerized or bundled and tied
- 4’ or less in length
- 40 pounds or less in weight
- Other items that may be collected curbside are listed below. A complete list and preparation instructions can be viewed in the Residential How-To Guide.
- Appliances (small kitchen)
- Electronics (stereos, computers, toaster, etc.)
- Bulk waste (furniture, mattresses, etc.)
- Construction wastes (limited to four, 32-gallon containers, each weighing 40 lbs. or less)
- Over-sized waste* (basketball poles, exercise equipment, swing sets, etc.)
- TV's & Monitors** (under 40 lbs.)
- Used Motor Oil
* Pickups for over-sized waste must be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance with Waste Management. Call 941-493-4100. Service fees may apply.
**Pickups for TV's and monitors that weigh more than 40 lbs. should be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance with Waste Management. Call 941-493-4100.
Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-8 p.m.
No collection service provided on New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Service will be delayed one day for the remainder of the holiday week.
- Any regular Friday collection delayed by a holiday will occur on Saturday.
- 2018 Holiday Collection Calendar
Rear Door Collection
Residents who supply the county with a physician's note may have rear door garbage and recycling service provided at no charge.
All other residents may also take advantage of rear door pick-up for a fee. NOTE: this service only applies to garbage. Recyclables, yard waste and any large or special pickup items must still be placed curbside.
To schedule rear door garbage service, contact Waste Management at 941-493-4100.
My Waste App
MyWaste is your go-to source for all garbage, recycling and hazardous waste information.
- Find your solid waste collection schedule, and use the Report A Problem function to communicate any type of solid waste service issues or other questions you have.
- The What Goes Where function provides information on how to recycle or otherwise dispose of over 2,000 items.
- MyWaste also allows Sarasota County to send you notices about events, collection service delays, changes, and other important information about our solid waste program.
Commercial Collection Services
All businesses in Sarasota County are required to use the county’s franchised waste hauler, Waste Management, for garbage collection services. While garbage service is franchised, businesses may contract with the recycling service provider list of their choice. By recycling, businesses may be able to reduce the size of their garbage container and/or the number of collection pick-ups.
Sarasota County Ordinance 2006-001 outlines the mandatory recycling requirements in unincorporated portions of Sarasota.
All new commercial construction is required to have an enclosure for garbage and recycling containers, unless there is a permanent storage area for the containers inside a walled and roofed building. This ordinance applies to all commercial buildings constructed after Dec. 7, 1993 (the date the original Ordinance 92-102 was adopted).
Waste Management will be able to assist businesses in determining the appropriate garbage service levels for number of containers, size of containers and pick-up frequency. Recycling service provider list can advise on appropriate recycling service levels.
Sarasota County’s Project Green Sweep (application) (below) program offers qualified Sarasota County businesses a responsible, cost effective method to properly dispose of small quantities of hazardous and regulated wastes that are banned from landfill disposal.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection recognizes businesses, institutions, schools, public organizations and citizens who recycle over 40 percent of their waste. Additional details about the program may be found on the FDEP website.
For general questions about garbage and recycling in Sarasota County, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.
To set up commercial garbage collection, contact Waste Management at 941-493-4100.
Trash and Recycling Documents
- 2018_Residential Collection_ADAc
- Disposal Business Directory_ADAc
- Disposing of Used Motor Oil_ADAc
- Enclosure Guide_ADAc
- List Residencial_ADAc
- FDEP Operation Cleansweep_ADAc
- Project Green Sweep Application_ADAc
- Project Green Sweep Overview_ADAc
- Ordinances Applicable to Enclosures_ADAc
- Recycling Education_ADAc
- Recycling Service Providers_ADAc
- Residential How To Guide_ADAc
- Residential Recycling List_ADAc
- Enclosure Guide_ADAc
- Used Oil Storage Rules_ADAc
- Yard Waste_ADAc