Waste Management provides garbage service to both residential and commercial customers throughout unincorporated Sarasota County.
Residential Collection Services
Curbside garbage and recycling collection services are provided to residents in unincorporated parts of Sarasota County by Waste Management.
- Garbage, yard waste and recyclable items are all collected on the same day.
- Containers/items may be placed at the curb beginning at 5 p.m. the day before collection, and should be curbside by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- Empty containers should be brought in from the curb by 10 a.m. on the day following collection.
- Yard waste should be placed separately from garbage and recyclables at the curb for collection.
- It should be bundled and secured with string.
- Each bundle should not exceed 40 pounds or four feet in length.
- Other items that may be collected curbside are listed below. A complete list and preparation instructions can be viewed in the Residential How-To Guide.
- Electronics* (no TVs or monitors-may be placed curbside)
- Bulk waste
- Construction wastes (limited to four, 32-gallon containers, each weighing 40 lbs. or less)
- Over-sized waste (furniture, mattresses)
- Used Motor Oil
- What happens to the items placed in your recycling bin? Check out this video!
*Pickups for electronics should be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance with Waste Management.
Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-8 p.m.
No collection service provided on New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Service will be delayed one day for the remainder of the holiday week.
- Any regular Friday collection delayed by a holiday will occur on Saturday.
- 2017 Holiday Collection Calendar
Rear Door Collection
Residents who supply the county with a physician's note may have rear door garbage and recycling service provided at no charge.
All other residents may also take advantage of rear door pick-up for a fee. NOTE: this service only applies to garbage. Recyclables, yard waste and any large or special pickup items must still be placed curbside.
To schedule rear door garbage service, contact Waste Management at 941-493-4100.
My Waste App
MyWaste is your go-to source for all garbage, recycling and hazardous waste information.
Learn to be a better recycler, find your solid waste collection schedule, and use the Report A Problem function to communicate any type of solid waste service issues or other questions you have.
The What Goes Where function provides information on how to recycle or otherwise dispose of over 2,000 items.
MyWaste also allows Sarasota County to send you notices about events, collection service delays, changes, and other important information about our solid waste program.
Commercial Collection Services
All businesses in Sarasota County are required to use the county’s franchised waste hauler, Waste Management, for garbage collection services. While garbage service is franchised, businesses may contract with the recycling service provider of their choice . By recycling, businesses may be able to reduce the size of their garbage container and/or the number of collection pick-ups.
Sarasota County Ordinance 2006-001 outlines the mandatory recycling requirements in unincorporated portions of Sarasota.
All new commercial construction is required to have an enclosure for garbage and recycling containers, unless there is a permanent storage area for the containers inside a walled and roofed building. This ordinance applies to all commercial buildings constructed after Dec. 7, 1993 (the date the original Ordinance 92-102 was adopted).
Additional information about Commercial Collection and Recycling can be found in the Commercial Solid Waste Guide. Waste Management will be able to assist businesses in determining the appropriate garbage service levels for number of containers, size of containers and pick-up frequency. Recycling service providers can advise on appropriate recycling service levels.
Sarasota County’s Project Green Sweep program offers qualified Sarasota County businesses a responsible, cost effective method to properly dispose of small quantities of hazardous and regulated wastes that are banned from landfill disposal.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection recognizes businesses, institutions, schools, public organizations and citizens who recycle over 40% of their waste. Additional details about the program may be found on the FDEP website.
For general questions about garbage and recycling in Sarasota County, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.
To set up commercial garbage collection, contact Waste Management at 941-493-4100.