Recycling and reuse of materials have long been associated with wise construction practices. Communities and experienced contractors are now reaping the environmental and possible economic advantages of Construction Waste Management practices that include the reuse and recycling of Construction and Demolition (C&D) debris. Sarasota County encourages the responsible separation and recycling of construction and demolition debris to support the county’s sustainability goals and to help save on costly disposal fees.
Contractors Guide to C&D Recycling
A three-year study of the construction and demolition industry was completed by Sarasota County’s Solid Waste department in August 2010. The purpose of the project was to determine what barriers exist that inhibit the recycling of C&D material and what can be done to overcome those barriers.
A Contractors Guide to C&D Recycling was developed from the lessons learned during this project.
Use a Construction Waste Management Plan (CWMP) to plan how you will manage your C&D materials. Need help? View the sample. (Below)
Items Accepted and Best Practices
It is important to know what is acceptable and not acceptable for Construction and Demolition (C&D) recycling.
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the definitions designated by the State to define certain materials and how they are handled and in what type of facility they can be handled.
DON’T mix garbage such as food waste and wrappers, fast food bags, beverage containers, etc. into C&D debris containers destined for either recycling or disposal.
- Debris containers' signage tip: Organize your job site by placing bilingual signage on your containers.
- Check with your service provider to check what material they will accept based on the final point of disposition (disposal/recovery/recycling).
- Fluorescent bulbs, mercury-containing devices, debris painted with lead-based paint, asbestos, oil based paints, and other C&D debris materials may have special requirements for handling and disposal.
- Sample List of Common Items Accepted
- Bathroom Fixtures
- Ceiling Tiles
- Landscaping Materials
- Lighting Fixtures
- Trim/Antique Moldings
- Wood Beams and Posts
For items not listed above, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000 to confirm disposal options and requirements.
C&D debris is subject to the applicable Landfill Disposal Rates.
To learn more about what is Hazardous Waste and how to handle/dispose of waste, refer to the C&D Hazardous Waste document (below) or call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.
- Trash and Recycling
- Hazardous Waste
- Construction and Demolition
- 2019 Residential Holiday Collection Schedule
- Waste Management Plan Summary_ADAc
- Waste Management Plan_ADAc
- Solid Waste Newsletter 2017V2_ADAc
- FL Admin Code Rule 62722_ADAc