For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at (941) 861-5000.
Sarasota County collects, processes and disposes of different types of waste with a focus on recycling and sustainability. Waste education is emphasized through citizen involvement and focus on increasing customer satisfaction. Conservation of resources and controlling operating costs are key priorities.
Garbage is collected from more than 150,000 residential units and from 6,000+ commercial customers through a franchise agreement with Waste Management.
- The residential collection program in unincorporated Sarasota County is supported by non ad-valorem assessments on all real properties.
- The contract includes curbside collection of residential garbage, recyclable materials and yard waste. In addition, tires, motor oil and filters, bulk items, white goods and old electronics are collected curbside.
Recycling is mandatory in Sarasota County.
- Residential curbside recycling is collected by Waste Management and processed under a contract with ReCommunity.
- Businesses may contract for services with a vendor of their choice and pay for service directly to the franchise hauler. Costs tend to vary depending on level of service needed.
- Recycling bins are available at each location listed below.
Florida Statutes and Landfill Operating Permits mandate the collection of certain waste streams.
- The purpose of the household hazardous waste programs is to provide a safe solution for household hazardous waste processing rather than disposal.
The Central County Solid Waste Disposal Complex (CCSWDC) is located in Nokomis and accepts residential and commercial garbage from the unincorporated areas of Sarasota and from three municipalities (cities of North Port, Sarasota and Venice).
- The CCSWDC includes a scale house, a Citizens Convenience Center, a construction and demolition debris recycling facility, a yard waste processing area, tire processing area, white goods (scrap metal) area and other landfill operations support facilities.
- Landfill operations are funded by the tipping fees collected for processing and/or disposal of materials received.
- Sarasota County Solid Waste offers landfill customers a free, fast and easy service to make convenient and secure online credit card payments.
NOTE: All customers unloading items by hand need to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing.
Hours of Operation
Chemical Collection Center (North)
8750 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
Administration Office Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
ReUzIt Shop Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. (now open Saturdays, effective Sept. 5, 2017)
Disposal Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Central County Solid Waste Disposal Complex
4010 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis
Administration Office Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Disposal Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
Chemical Collection Center (South)
250 S. Jackson Road, Venice
Disposal Wednesday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
All facilities closed on New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. North and south facilities also closed on government holidays.
For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.