Keep Sarasota County Beautiful
Keep Sarasota County Beautiful (KSCB) is a county-wide beautification program that initiates community cleanup projects to help keep our community free of litter. Established in 1987, our organization is an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful Inc., a national, non-profit organization that inspires and educates people to take action every day to improve and beautify their community environment.
Keep Sarasota County Beautiful hosts several county-wide cleanup events throughout the year including:
- The Great American Cleanup (spring event)
- The Liberty Litter Cleanup (summer event)
- The International Coastal Cleanup (fall event)
KSCB also manages the Adoption Program. This innovative program gives private citizens an opportunity to support the countywide anti-litter campaign. In addition, adoption provides businesses and organizations a way to offer an inexpensive project that gives their members the satisfaction of making a contribution to their communities, and the program helps generate publicity for the group's service activities. Adopted areas are maintained as part of a joint effort to keep our environment clean and healthy and participation in the program is free.
Towards the end of each calendar year, Keep Sarasota County Beautiful hosts an KSBC Annual Volunteer Awards Recognition Dinner which provides an opportunity to recognize notable efforts throughout the county that promote environmental stewardship and innovation through education and action.
Interested in participating as a volunteer with KSCB? Sign up for our KSCB mailing list to receive information about upcoming events.
The Great American Cleanup
- Keep America Beautiful initiative.
- Began in 1998.
- Nation’s largest community improvement program.
- Engages more than 5 million volunteers and participants every year to create positive change and lasting impact in local communities.
- Over the past five years, volunteers’ work returns, on average, $175 million in measurable benefits across participating communities.
- Registration for the 2019 Great American Cleanup will open in January 2019.
The Liberty Litter Cleanup
- KSCB partnership program with Sarasota County Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources department.
- Celebrating event's 5th anniversary in 2018.
- Focuses on nine area beaches hit hardest by the July 4th celebrations.
- Four-year average for amount of trash and recyclables collected is 2 tons/year.
- Event will be held on Thursday, July 5, 2018 from 7-9 a.m.
- Pre-event registration is requested.
- The first 150 volunteers who register will receive this year's commemorative t-shirts.
- All volunteers will receive work gloves, and bags for trash and recyclables.
- To register for the 2018 Liberty Litter Cleanup, please sign up online or call 941-861-5000.
The International Coastal Cleanup
- Ocean Conservancy initiative.
- Began in 1986.
- More than 18 million pounds of trash was collected by nearly 500,000 volunteers during the 2016 International Coastal Cleanup.
- Event will be held on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018.
- Registration will open in August 2018.