Water Quality for Bays and Estuaries
Surface WaterOur challenge is to protect water bodies from pollution-laden runoff. Any water that hits a surface goes into our bays, estuaries, canals and rivers. Runoff comes through direct runoff or a system of storm drains, off cars and roads and even your roof.
Most runoff water is a carrier of oils, solid and pet waste and harmful fertilizers. Sarasota County has programs addressing the hazards to surface water.
Environmental EducationWe offer environmental education for residents, businesses, and students. We can provide speakers and educational materials focusing on the following topics:
- Water quality (surface water, ground water, stormwater)
- Illicit discharges
- Pollution prevention
- Water conservation
- National Pollutant Discharge and Elimination System (NPDES) permitting
- Storm Drain Marking Program
- Biosolids collection system permitting
- Wastewater treatment process