What is the Solid Waste Service Area?
The Solid Waste Service Area (District) was originally created in the 1950's to promote the common interest of the people of the county and to provide mandatory collection of residential and commercial waste. This helps Sarasota County promote the health, welfare and safety of the citizens and residents by providing adequate collection services throughout the unincorporated parts of Sarasota County. The District boundaries were updated in Dec. 2019 through the passage of Sarasota County Ordinance No. 2019-052.
Do I live in the District?
Most residences located throughout unincorporated Sarasota County are considered to be in the District. Residences located in the cities of Sarasota, Venice and North Port and the Town of Longboat Key fall outside of the District and are subject to different regulations.
Check your address in the interactive map.
Through the franchise agreement, Waste Management is the only hauler allowed to remove and dispose of garbage, recycling and yard waste materials from residences located in the District. It is unlawful for any person not holding a valid franchise, or otherwise authorized by the Board of County Commissioners, to collect solid waste from any source.
Items that may be removed by a private hauler from a residence located in the District:
- Construction and demolition debris from remodeling (in excess of two cubic yards or four 32-gallon containers)
- Extraordinary, hazardous, bio-medical and radiological waste
- Land clearing debris
- Liquid, semisolid or contained gaseous material resulting from domestic, industrial, commercial, mining, agricultural or governmental operations
- Recyclable materials (providing the materials are subjected to a recycling process)
- Residential waste that is generated:
- In the unincorporated areas of Sarasota County lying outside the boundaries of the District as provided by ordinance
- On Real property or by customers located within the incorporated areas of Sarasota County (cities of Sarasota, Venice, North Port and the Town of Longboat Key)
For FY20, the annual rate for curbside collection service of garbage, recycling and yard waste is $186.59 for Class I customers and $157.88 for Class II customers.
Below is a general description of property classification. There may be exceptions, depending on the property use or zoning codes.
Class I Customers
Single-family, duplex-triplex and quadruplex Dwelling Units: apartments two to nine Dwelling Units, residential combination (residence plus commercial;), and retirement homes that do not have commercial kitchens and contain two to nine Dwelling Units.
Class II Customers
Mobile homes, recreational vehicles, condominiums, cooperatives, apartment buildings with ten or more Dwelling Units, retirement homes with ten or more Dwelling Units and each unit has a separate cooking facility/kitchen, time-share apartments, mobile home parks including lots for mobile homes and recreational vehicles.