In Sarasota County’s continued effort to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community, and to help better protect the community and our employees, the following changes are in effect for Solid Waste facilities:
CHEMICAL COLLECTION CENTERS (hazardous waste drop-off sites) - What is open?
- Beginning the week of June 8, the three Chemical Collection Centers will begin accepting hazardous waste from all residential and commercial customers. Appointments will no longer be required.
- Disposal for Sarasota County residents is free, however limits may apply.
- Applicable disposal rates will apply for businesses. Payment must be made by credit/debit card (cash and/or checks will not be accepted).
CHEMICAL COLLECTION CENTERS (hazardous waste drop-off sites) - What is closed?
- Admin office at the Bee Ridge Chemical Collection Center
- The Re-Uz-It Shop at the Bee Ridge Chemical Collection Center
CENTRAL COUNTY LANDFILL - What is open?
- Disposal for customers and contractors. Payment must be made by credit/debit card (cash and/or checks will not be accepted).
- RC Fliers Club (members only).
- Mulch/fines (limited quantities available).
CENTRAL COUNTY LANDFILL - What is closed?
- Admin office
- Birding/nature observation
The Central County Solid Waste Disposal Complex (CCSWDC) is centrally located within Sarasota County and accepts residential, municipal and commercial garbage from the unincorporated areas of Sarasota and from three municipalities (cities of North Port, Sarasota and Venice). Landfill operations are supported by the tipping fees collected for processing and/or disposal of materials received.
Hours of Operation
Central County Solid Waste Disposal Complex (Landfill)
4000 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis
Administration Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Landfill and C&D Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.*
Landfill and C&D Saturday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.*
Citizens' Convenience Center
4010 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.*
Saturday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.*
HOLIDAYS: All facilities closed on New Year's Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If the observed holiday falls on a weekday, disposal operations (except for C&D) and the Citizen's Convenience Center will remain open until 5 p.m.* on Saturday following the holiday.
*NOTE: All customers unloading items by hand (see list below) need to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing.
Disposal Rates/Tipping Fees
Construction and Demolition Debris (C&D)
Certified Weight Sale
Rates effective June 1, 2019
Waste Tire Disposal
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) allows for the disposal of up to 25 waste tires per month without a permit. Residents or companies that need to dispose of more than 25 waste tires per month are required to register with the FDEP. Additional information on waste tire disposal is available through the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
Soils, dredge materials, car wash and street sweeping grit, fill dirt, wastewater cake/sludge and other similar special wastes require prior approval for disposal. Please complete and submit the Special Waste Disposal Request form to the Special Waste Disposal Coordinator for approval before bringing the material to the Sarasota County landfill.
*For each load of asbestos brought to the Sarasota County landfill, haulers must complete a Waste Shipment Record form (below) and schedule the drop-off at least 24 hours in advance by calling 941-861-5000. Asbestos will ONLY be accepted Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. NOTE: The FDEP Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form (below) must also be completed and returned to the appropriate agency.
EFFECTIVE 4/3/2020 - All payments must be made via credit card, debit card or billed to an account. NO cash payments will be accepted until further notice. To set up an account, call 941-861-5000. A minimum $500 deposit is required.
Payment for disposal rates must be made with credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover) or a debit card with a bank logo on it. Business or personal checks are not accepted.
Sarasota County offers landfill customers a free, fast and easy service to make convenient and secure online credit card payments.
Landfill Gas to Energy Program
The Landfill Gas to Energy Facility at the CCSWDC is a joint project between Sarasota County and a private company, Landfill Energy Systems Florida (Aria Energy). The innovative technology demonstrates Sarasota County's commitment to clean energy and a sustainable future.
Methane, a greenhouse gas produced by the county's landfill, is converted into electricity that enters the power grid.
Three engines inside the building can produce as much as 4.8 megawatts of electricity, or enough to power 2,800 homes. The engines weigh about 20 tons each, have 20 cylinders and produce more than 2,200 horsepower apiece. Each engine uses about 500 cubic feet of landfill gas per minute.
Mulch & Fines
Temporary change in location and operations due to COVID-19. Opportunities to pick up mulch/fines will reopen on Monday, June 8. Limited quantities will be available.
In order to follow social distancing guidelines, and to protect the health and safety of staff and the public, mulch/fines will be placed temporarily in the northwest corner of the Pinelands Trailhead parking lot located off of Knights Trail Road. The parking lot is approximately 1/2 mile north of the Rustic Road/Knights Trail Road intersection. Hours of operation will be dawn to dusk, mirroring the hours of the Pinelands Trail.
HOW TO PICK UP MULCH/FINES
Complimentary to Sarasota County residents for use at their homes.
- Valid ID or utilities bill required as proof of residency.
- Quantities are limited to one cubic yard per week per residential dwelling and are subject to availability (call in advance to confirm).
- Residents should bring appropriate shovels and containers to load materials themselves.
- Load needs to be covered upon departure from the landfill.
Central County Landfill
4000 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis
Monday-Friday (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Saturdays (8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.
- Pinelands_CCSWDC PUBLIC ACCESS MAP_3_13_19 Saturday
- Pinelands_CCSWDC PUBLIC ACCESS MAP_2019 Monday - Friday
- Unload by Hand at the Landfill
- Boat or Jet Ski Preparation
- Travel Trailer or Camper Preparation
- Yard Waste Disposal
- Accepted and Non-Accepted Items
- Waste Shipment Record_ADAc
- LF_Asbestos Disposal_ADAc
- Landfill Gas to Energy Facts_ADAc