In Sarasota County’s continued effort to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community, and to help better protect the community and our employees, the following changes are in effect for Solid Waste facilities:
YARD WASTE COLLECTION SERVICES TO RESUME ON MONDAY, AUG. 3
Curbside collection of residential yard waste will resume regularly scheduled service beginning on Monday, August 3.
Residents in unincorporated Sarasota County may continue to self-haul their yard waste to the Central County Solid Waste Complex and will not be charged a fee* through Aug. 15, 2020. Residents wishing to dispose of residential yard waste must call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000 in advance to confirm residency, register for disposal and receive instructions about the disposal process.
*Does not apply to residents in the cities of Sarasota, Venice or North Port or the Town of Longboat Key.
Sarasota County Solid Waste will continue to monitor the situation, make adjustments as needed, and reserves the right to modify the program as state and local guidelines dictate.
Rethinking Yard Waste Disposal - blog post from Sarasota County UF/IFAS Extension and Sustainability
CHEMICAL COLLECTION CENTERS (hazardous waste drop-off sites) - What is open?
- The three Chemical Collection Centers are accepting hazardous waste from all residential and commercial customers. Appointments are not required.
- Disposal for Sarasota County residents is free, however limits may apply.
- Applicable disposal rates will apply for businesses. Payment must be made by credit/debit card (cash and/or checks will not be accepted).
CHEMICAL COLLECTION CENTERS (hazardous waste drop-off sites) - What is closed?
- Admin office at the Bee Ridge Chemical Collection Center
- The Re-Uz-It Shop at the Bee Ridge Chemical Collection Center
CENTRAL COUNTY LANDFILL - What is open?
- Disposal for customers and contractors. Payment must be made by credit/debit card (cash and/or checks will not be accepted).
- RC Fliers Club (members only).
- Mulch/fines (limited quantities available).
CENTRAL COUNTY LANDFILL - What is closed?
- Admin office
- Birding/nature observation
Garbage is collected from more than 150,000 residential units and from 6,000+ commercial customers through a franchise agreement with Waste Management.
- The residential collection program in unincorporated Sarasota County is supported by non ad-valorem assessments on all real properties.
- The contract includes curbside collection of residential garbage, recyclable materials and yard waste. In addition, tires, motor oil and filters, bulk items, white goods and old electronics are collected curbside.
Recycling is mandatory in Sarasota County.
- Residential curbside recycling is collected by Waste Management and processed under a contract with Single Stream Recyclers.
- Residents living in unincorporated Sarasota County that are in need of a new single-stream recycling cart (i.e. new home build, damaged cart, etc.) should contact Waste Management at 941-493-4100.
- Businesses may contract for services with a vendor of their choice and pay for service directly to the franchise hauler. Costs tend to vary depending on level of service needed.
Florida Statutes and Landfill Operating Permits mandate the collection of certain waste streams.
- The purpose of the household hazardous waste programs is to provide a safe solution for household hazardous waste processing rather than disposal.
The Central County Solid Waste Disposal Complex (CCSWDC) is located in Nokomis and accepts residential and commercial garbage from the unincorporated areas of Sarasota and from three municipalities (cities of North Port, Sarasota and Venice).
- The CCSWDC includes a scale house, a Citizens' Convenience Center, a construction and demolition debris recycling facility, a yard waste processing area, tire processing area, white goods (scrap metal) area and other landfill operations support facilities.
- Landfill operations are funded by the tipping fees collected for processing and/or disposal of materials received.
- Sarasota County Solid Waste offers landfill customers a free, fast and easy service to make convenient and secure online credit card payments.
- NOTE: All customers unloading items by hand need to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing.
Hours of Operation
Chemical Collection Center (North)
8750 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota
Administration Office Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
ReUzIt Shop Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. (now open Saturdays)
Disposal Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Central County Solid Waste Disposal Complex (Landfill)
4000 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis
Administration Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Disposal Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.*
Disposal Saturday 8 a.m.-2 p.m.*
*NOTE: All customers unloading item by hand need to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing.
Chemical Collection Center (South)
250 S. Jackson Road, Venice
Disposal Wednesday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
HOLIDAYS: All facilities closed on New Year's Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If the observed holiday falls on a weekday, disposal operations (except for C&D) and the Citizen's Convenience Center will remain open until 5 p.m. on Saturday following the holiday. North and south facilities also closed on government holidays.
For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.