Learn about the county's Floodplain Management Planning Committee
Unincorporated Sarasota County voluntarily participates in the National Flood Insurance Program’s (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS) to protect our citizens from flood losses and reduce flood insurance premiums.
- As a Category “C” community, with over 10 Repetitive Loss Properties, we are required to develop and maintain a Floodplain Management Plan.
- To meet the CRS requirement, the Floodplain Management Planning Committee was created to develop and maintain the Floodplain Management Plan.
- The Floodplain Management Plan promotes awareness of the floodplain, assesses flooding issues and sets goals to make the community more resistant to flooding.
- The committee includes county staff, members of the public, incorporated municipalities within Sarasota County and other regional stakeholders.
- The committee must maintain at least 50 percent stakeholder participation.
- Meetings are held quarterly.
- Flood Zone Workshops 2017
- 2015 Floodplain Management Plan
- 2016 Flood-prone Areas Letters
- 2016 National Flood Insurance Program Changes
- 2016 Sarasota County Local Mitigation Strategy
- Flood Damage Protection Ordinance
- Flood Insurance Grandfather Rule
- Flood Protection Resources
- Historical Flood Marker
- Sarasota County Flood History
- Sarasota County Flood Workshops