County Demographics and Statistics
Sarasota County is located in the southwestern part of the Florida peninsula on the Gulf of Mexico, between Manatee and Charlotte counties. Our economy is largely service-oriented, driven by tourism and the migration of retirees, with the major industries including:
- Health care
- Retail trade
The 2018 county population is estimated to be approximately 417,000 permanent residents. During the winter months, however, the local population can increase to over 500,000.
Sarasota County Summary Statistics
Source: Florida Bureau of Economic and Business Research, 2018 (Resident Population). All other values: U.S. Census Bureau, 2017 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates
Featured Story Map
Take a tour of 1974 with Sarasota County's new swipe map! The interactive story map allows you to explore how Sarasota County's landscape has changed since 1974, a time when the county's population was at 158,000 residents (versus over 417,000 today).
View the story map here.
- Population Estimates 2000 to 2018_ADAc
- Population Projections, 2020-2045
- Population by Race and Ethnicity 2017 and 2045
- Population by Age 2017 and 2045
- Population Pyramid 2017 and 2045
- Residential Building Permits, 2005-2018
- Employment by Industry and Wage, 2017
- Change in Employment, 2006-2017
- Top Growing Occupations
- Educational Attainment