The Planning and Zoning Division focuses on:
- Long range and current planning
- Neighborhood services
- Land development
These teams emphasize development policies, codes, and neighborhood-level engagement.
Long Range Planning acts as a catalyst and partner for strategic planning to improve Sarasota County and the region.
Current Planning is responsible for the strategic review and processing of:
- Rezone Petitions
- Special Exceptions
- Developments of Regional Impact (DRIs)
- Developments of Critical Concern (DOCC)
- Small Area Comprehensive Plan Amendments (when associated with a rezone petition)
Neighborhood Services is committed to connecting residents to the resources they need for a thriving neighborhood. Programs include Civics 101, the Neighborhood Initiative Grant Program, and the Neighborhood Challenge.
Zoning is responsible for the oversight of the Code of Ordinances for Sarasota County. This system of land use regulations classifies how land can be used, prescribing standards for its development by:
- Helping to protect public and private interests
- Preserve critical areas
- Promote orderly growth
- Encourage development in keeping with community desires
Land Development is responsible for reviews and inspections for all horizontal construction related to new development in Sarasota County, including:
- Water and Sewer
- Stormwater Systems