Outreach Programs & Events
Neighborhood Services facilitates outreach opportunities in addition to our regularly scheduled and ongoing programming.
If you or your group is interested in getting to know Sarasota County better, contact us with your idea for an outreach program or event.
Civics 101: A Citizen's Academy
Sarasota County employs more than 2,000 people. Do you know what they do? Join us for a "backstage pass" to the workings of Sarasota County government.
Ask questions — get answers.
Tour facilities. Test your skills. Learn about county programs and resources, and make connections to further your own vision in our community.
Civics 101 is offered in two modules:
- Act I: Setting the Stage
- Act II: VIP Services
Classes are held on Thursday evenings from 6 p.m. - 8:15 p.m. in the summer and winter.
The program is free, and the application process is simple.
What are you waiting for?
The Summer 2017 session of Civics 101 runs July through September, and registration has been completed.
If you would like to be contacted to learn the dates of future sessions or upcoming applications, let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Neighborhood Directory & Map
The Sarasota County government website and the Contact Center (at 941-861-5000) offer one-stop-shopping for residents wishing to reach out to county departments.
But how do those departments reach out to your neighborhood?
The answer is, the Neighborhood Directory.
The Directory is a voluntary database of neighborhood contact information for Sarasota County neighborhoods. "Neighborhoods" may be any geographically-defined group of residents, and do no have to be incorporated associations.
By registering your neighborhood, you make it possible for county staff to contact an association president or other neighborhood leader to give notice regarding:
- Proposed development items
- Other hot topics in your area
Once your neighborhood is registered*, your association will be mapped in our GIS (Geographic Information Systems) program and subscribed to the Neighborhood Services electronic newsletter, "Connect." Site-specific notifications may be delivered via postal service to the listed neighborhood address.
Exploring the Neighborhood Directory Map
- Click the "View the Map" link on the right side of this screen
- Look to the list of layers on the right side of the pop-up map window and select "Neighborhood Associations" (all registered associations will be highlighted on the map)
- Click on an area to view its registration information
- To search for an association by name, click the magnifying glass icon in the top page banner; from the "Search Layer" drop-down menu, choose "Neighborhood Associations By Name" and select the neighborhood from the "Association Name" drop-down menu, or enter the name of the neighborhood into the search field
*Please allow up to two weeks after registration for your association information to appear in the directory and on the map.