Outreach Programs and Events
Neighborhood Services facilitates outreach opportunities in addition to our regularly scheduled and ongoing programming.
If you or your group is interested in getting to know Sarasota County better, contact us with your idea for an outreach program or event.
Civics 101: A Citizen's Academy
Sarasota County employs more than 2,000 people. Do you know what they do? Sign up for our citizens' academy, Civics 101, to find out!
Ask questions — get answers.
Tour facilities. Test your skills. Learn about county programs and resources, and make connections to further your own vision in our community.
Civics 101 is offered in two modules:
- Act I: Setting the Stage
- Act II: VIP Services
Classes are held on Thursday evenings from 6 p.m. - 8:20 p.m., at varying locations in the winter and summer.
There is no registration fee.
The 2018 Winter Session (Module II), running February 1 through March 15, is full.
If you would like to be contacted with the summer dates and application once they are available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neighborhood Directory and Map
The Sarasota County government website and the Contact Center
(at 941-861-5000) offer one-stop-shopping for residents wishing to reach out to county departments.
But how do those departments reach out to your neighborhood?
The answer is, the Neighborhood Directory.
The Directory is a voluntary database of neighborhood contact information for Sarasota County neighborhoods. "Neighborhoods" may be any geographically-defined group of residents, and do no have to be incorporated associations.
By registering your neighborhood, you make it possible for county staff to contact an association president or other neighborhood leader to give notice regarding:
- Proposed development items.
- Other hot topics in your area.
Once your neighborhood is registered*, your association will be mapped in our GIS (Geographic Information Systems) program and subscribed to the Neighborhood Services electronic newsletter, "Connect." Site-specific notifications may be delivered via postal service to the listed neighborhood address.
Exploring the Neighborhood Directory Map
- Click the "View the Map" link on the right side of this screen.
- Look to the list of layers on the right side of the pop-up map. window and select "Neighborhood Associations" (all registered associations will be highlighted on the map).
- Click on an area to view its registration information.
- To search for an association by name, click the magnifying glass icon in the top page banner; from the "Search Layer" drop-down menu, choose "Neighborhood Associations By Name" and select the neighborhood from the "Association Name" drop-down menu, or enter the name of the neighborhood into the search field.
*Please allow up to two weeks after registration for your association information to appear in the directory and on the map.