Englewood overlooks beautiful Lemon Bay, straddling the unincorporated areas of Sarasota and Charlotte counties. Englewood is harbored by several small islands and offers outstanding beaches. The Englewood Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) includes the Sarasota County part of Englewood. Englewood offers a variety of cultural events, nature parks, beaches, fishing and boating, while retaining its small-town atmosphere.
That part of Township 40 South, ranges 19 and 20 East of Sarasota County, Florida, more particularly described as follows:
Sections 26, 30, 31, 32 and the South 1/2 of Section 19, Township 40 South, Range 20 East and Sections 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 35 and 36, Township 40 South, Range 19 East and that part of Sections 14, and 15, Township 40, Range 19 East that lies westerly of the center line of Englewood Road (State Road 776) and southerly of the meandering center line of Forked Creek, beginning at the intersection of said center line of Forked Creek and the center line of Englewood Road (State Road 776) thence run southwesterly along the center line of Forked Creek and its southwesterly extension to the southwest corner of Section 15, Township 40, Range 19 East, Sarasota County, Florida.
Please call the Englewood CRA staff at 941-861-5000 if you have a question or suggestion.
The Englewood CRA is Formed
The Englewood Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) was established on March 31, 1998, by the Sarasota County Commission. On December 14, 1999, the Englewood Redevelopment Plan was adopted by resolution and a Redevelopment Trust Fund was established by Ordinance No. 99-08K5. The establishment of the trust fund allowed for the appropriation of tax increment financing (TIF) funds to be used in undertaking and carrying out the community redevelopment plan.
Additional information is available in the Documents Library below.
Englewood is more than 100 years old. Artifacts found at the Indian Mound Park date back as far as 400 B.C., and the Englewood area may have been inhabited by the Calusa Indians.
Today, Englewood's permanent population is approaching 50,000. During season, the number is closer to 75,000.
Some key facts include the following:
- In 1897, a directory of the Lemon Bay area noted a population of 86.
- In 1898, the Englewood area had a population of 250 people and land was selling at $30 an acre.
- In 1910, the town of Englewood had a federal census figure of 75 permanent residents and about 50 winter residents.
- In 1926, Englewood's first church was built.
- In 1927 a bridge was built across Lemon Bay, joining Manasota Key and the Gulf beaches with the mainland.
- In 1956, the Sarasota side of Englewood had a part-time sheriff.
- In 1958, the post office was the fastest growing in the state, and by 1960 two carriers were hired to deliver the mail to the 2,864 residents.
|Englewood CRA||Phone: 941-473-9795
Disclaimer: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public-records request, please call the Contact Center at 941‑861‑5000 or office locations.