The Sarasota County Comprehensive Plan is a blueprint, adopted by the Sarasota County Commission, to guide development of land, economic growth, resource protection and the provision of public services and facilities in Sarasota County over time. It is a vision and road-map for the county’s future; the framework for big-picture decisions on how to grow, while preserving, restoring and improving our communities.
In 2016, an update to the County's Comprehensive Plan was approved by the Sarasota County Commission. The 18-month update included the review of each of the 12 chapters, targeted community engagement and refined goals objectives and policies.
- Over 50 subject matter experts from each county department participated, in addition to over 200 workshop participants, 1700 online survey responses and over 25 public meetings and workshops.
- The Plan was divided into two Volumes; Volume 1 contains Goals, Objectives and Policies, and Volume 2 contains Supporting Data and Analysis.
- The result is a more user-friendly Comprehensive Plan that provides clearly stated objectives and direction for moving forward, taking advantage of technological advances, graphics and formatting.
The Sarasota County Comprehensive Plan has received three awards:
- 2017 Florida Chapter of the American Planning Association’s Award of Excellence (Large Jurisdiction category)
- 2017 Florida Planning and Zoning Association’s Award of Merit
- 2016 Sun Coast Chapter of the Florida Planning and Zoning Association’s Award of Excellence
Scrivener's Error Updates:
Mobility Element, Table 10-5, Page V1-436.
Mobility Element, Map 10-8 and 10-9, Pages V2-465 and V2-466.