Important COVID-19 Operational Updates
Sarasota County is dedicated to providing quality services, offering many resources for online service.
The health and safety of our clients and staff is important to us. Consistent with the guidelines from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the State of Florida and County leadership, we are conducting business by using online service options, phone and email.
Additional information is available below on how to access these options and contact information.
Effective Thursday, April 30, Sarasota County's Planning and Development Services will be offering curbside permitting services at both 1001 Sarasota Center Blvd., Sarasota and 4000 S Tamiami Trail, Venice. Curbside permitting will be available for those services that require mandatory on-site service. When using curbside services, customers will need to remotely sign in using the QLess app and will experience increased wait times.
Location Note: Effective May 15, construction will begin at R.L. Anderson (4000 S Tamiami Trail, Venice). Visit the South County Courts/R.L. Anderson Building Remodel page for the latest updates, including alternate access and parking.
More information on these services is available below.
- Contractor Application for your mobile device: schedule inspections, pay fees, monitor plan review status
- Selectext for inspection scheduling and texted results: 877‑852‑4661
- Inspections Hotline (staffed during normal operating hours): 941‑861‑3271 or 3273
- IVR voice phone system (schedule inspections and pay fees): 941‑861‑6441 (available in Spanish)
- Online permitting: permitting, inspections, plan review status and pay fees
- Electronic permitting on select permit types
- Use email to communicate to email@example.com
- Please call 941‑861‑5000 with any other questions or concerns
Please note the county is following CDC guidelines on social distancing and cleanliness.
- Permitting Centers: We are conducting business by using online service options, phone and email.
- If in person service is mandatory, you will need to remotely sign in using the QLess application on your phone and wait in your car until summoned to avoid waiting rooms.
- Please note you may experience increased wait times and will be health screened.
- Inspections: *JUNE UPDATE* The PDS Building Division is updating restrictions on certain inspections types performed in occupied structures that pose a risk to staff and occupant that do NOT pose life safety concerns.
- Effective immediately, until further notice inspection staff will be instructed to ask prior to entering the structure if anyone within the residence or structures is ill or not well.
- If any individual is ill or sick the inspection will be cancelled.
- Any home or building with anyone who has any sympotoms or exposure to Coronavirus must not schedule an inspection.
- The inspector still has the ability to cancel an inspection, if they feel unsafe or have any concerns about entering the structure.
- Vacant structures will be inspected with normal procedures.
- If all is well and entry is allowed, the inspector will encourage the owner to open and close the entry doors to avoid the staff member from touching these surfaces. Each inspector will practice the 6 ft social distancing, limit contract with any surfaces and once inspection is complete all paperwork will be documented outside of the structure.
- Review the Occupied Structures Inspections Update section for inspections that require entry into an occupied structure.
- Plans Review: Submit online for online processing when available. Online access registration forms are available to get started. All communication on plan review comments will be sent by email and any further discussions or code questions will be handled by phone or conference calls.
Please continue to check this page for updates.
The Building Division is designed to help Sarasota County property owners, building contractors and permit agents with the permitting process. This includes:
- Plan Review
- Contractor Licensing
- Unlicensed/Unpermitted Enforcement
- Unfit/Unsafe Structures
It is in your best interest to ensure that the contractor you hire is licensed and insured to perform work in Sarasota County.
Contractors and registered users can access their information online and keep track of permits linked to their license in our Online Permitting Services page (external).
Sarasota County Contractor Mobile Application
Registered users, including contractors and authorized agents, can utilize online permitting services from the convenience of a mobile device. Features include:
- Access application status
- Schedule applications and pay fees
- View and manage projects from the field
- View inspection status
- Check permit review status
The application is available to download via Google Play (Android) and the App Store (Apple).
- 2014 National Electrical Code
- 2017 Florida Building Code 6th Edition
- Existing Building
- Florida Building Code (external)
- State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) License Search (external)
- Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) Product Approval (external)
- Sarasota County Property Appraiser Real Property Search (external)
Impact fees are charges on new development and increases in development intensity for the local government’s cost associated with providing infrastructure to serve the new development. Use the Impact Fee Calculator for a fee estimate+.
Impact Fee Rates Implementation Date: April 1, 2017.
+New or increased development will also be subject to additional building fees as well as capacity fees for wastewater and potable water.