The Sarasota County Board of County Commissioners adopted a resolution on March 14 for a bond referendum which would extend The Legacy Trail and its connections, if approved by voters.
The bond referendum will be on the Nov. 6 general election ballot and would allow for the acquisition of land and construction of the extension, adding nine miles north to Payne Park in downtown Sarasota. The Legacy Trail currently runs from the Historic Venice Train Depot to Culverhouse Nature Park in Sarasota.
The proposed acquisition - which would originate at Ashton Road and extend north to Fruitville Road - is contingent upon passage of the bond referendum and issuance of general obligation bonds. The passage of a bond referendum is required prior to the issuance of these general obligation bonds.
Sarasota County already acquired 1.7 miles of railroad corridor and closed on the acquisition of the first phase of the extension in December, using $7.9 million in impact fees and funds from the Neighborhood Parkland Acquisition Program.
Legacy Trail Documents
- 031418 Board Meeting Packet - The Legacy Trail Referendum
- 082917 Board Meeting Packet - Acquisition of Land for The Legacy Trail Extension
- Historical Overview of The Legacy Trail
- North Port Legacy Trail Connection
- Policy for Trail Use
- The Legacy Trail and Venetian Waterway Map Guide
- The Legacy Trail Referendum Fact Sheet