Requesting a Room at a Library
Meeting rooms are available at eight of the ten libraries.
- Read and agree to the Meeting Room Policies and Rules of Use.
- Review library locations and hours to determine the best meeting space. (Please call if you have questions about rooms.)
- Download the instructions: How to Request a room in the libraries.
- Once you have read the Meeting Room Policies and Rules of Use below, click on "Agree" at the bottom of this page to proceed to the online Meeting Room Request form.
- Upon submitting a request, note the confirmation number which appears on the screen. (The confirmation number is also emailed to you.)
- Library staff review each request submitted and will notify you within 72 hours if your request is approved or denied.
Meeting Room Policies and Rules of Use
All libraries in the Sarasota County Library System provide meeting rooms for nonprofit groups and organizations whose aims are cultural, educational, intellectual, charitable and/or for discussions of current public issues.
- The use of these rooms is granted to nonprofit organizations whose aims are cultural, educational, intellectual, charitable and/or for discussions of current public issues.
- The use of the library for meetings will not be granted to groups or organizations for meetings which are commercial in nature.
- Groups using the meeting room must comply with the Sarasota County Library Rules.
- The use of the meeting room will not be granted to those promoting or operating a commercial enterprise.
- Solicitation for business purposes while using a library meeting room is prohibited.
- There is no charge for use of the room. Groups requesting the use of library meeting rooms may be asked to produce verification of nonprofit status.
- All meetings must be open to the public.
- Library sponsored functions take precedence.
- Groups may be denied use of meeting rooms or asked to reschedule a previous room reservation if a conflict arises with a library sponsored function.
- Rooms may be reserved up to 12 times within 365 days.
- Reservations are taken no more than 12 months in advance.
- By the first day of any given month, if space remains available, additional dates may be granted at the discretion of the Library Manager.
- All organizations are expected to complete reserve requests online.
- Requests must include specific dates, times, room requested and the contact person’s name, telephone number and email.
- It is the organization’s responsibility to confirm room reservations.
- Please note: The Room Request system will attempt to send correspondence to you by email.
- Groups needing to cancel confirmed reservations are required to cancel those reservations online at the earliest possible date. (See instructions below.)
- The fact that a group is permitted to meet at the library does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group's policies or beliefs by the library or Sarasota County Government.
- A statement to this effect must appear on promotional materials and handouts.
- The library does not assume any liability on groups or individuals attending meetings in the library nor does the library assume responsibilities for any loss, damage, costs and/or expense that may arise during use of library facilities.
Rules of Use
- All groups are responsible for arranging chairs and/or tables for their meeting and returning the room to the arrangement prescribed by the library.
- Library staff is not available for room setup.
- The group using the room shall leave it in a neat, clean, orderly condition.
- Continued offenses will result in the group being denied access to meeting rooms.
- Groups must provide their own trained equipment operator.
- Library staff is not available for equipment operation other than to train a group’s representative.
- Appointments for training should be made well in advance of the scheduled meeting.
- Groups are responsible for keeping attendance in compliance with levels established by the fire inspector.
- Room set-ups must not block access to fire extinguishers or impede safe egress from the room.
- All advertising and all sale of merchandise or other materials is forbidden on the premises unless specific approval from the Library Manager is obtained in writing prior to the meeting.
- Copyright laws specify that feature films and documentaries shown by outside organizations in library meeting rooms are legally permitted only if they are covered under a Public Performance License.
- All programs must be free of charge.
- A fee for workshop materials may be allowed on approval of the Library Manager (Maximum of $25.00 per person.)
- Rooms may be used only during library hours and must be vacated at least 15 minutes prior to closing.
- Please fill out an Attendance Form with accurate attendance figures for your meeting or program and return it to library staff.
- Blank copies of the form are available in the meeting rooms or from library staff.
- Group leaders are responsible for notifying individuals of the need to keep conversations at a low level when exiting the meeting room.
- Smoking is prohibited, as are candles and open flames of any kind.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in public meetings.
- Failure to follow this policy, the library rules, or the terms described in this agreement will, after one written warning, result in the cancellation of future room booking privileges.
- Meeting rooms are in high demand.
- In order to continue to provide this valuable free service, we need the help and cooperation of all groups who use our facilities.
- Please let us know if you have suggestions that would help us to improve this service.
- Download a copy of the Libraries Meeting Room Policies and Rules of Use.
By clicking "Agree" below, I acknowledge that I have read the Meeting Room Policies and Rules of Use above and agree to abide by them.
Cancelling a Room Request
Cancel online using the confirmation number on the screen or sent to you when you requested a room by clicking this link: Libraries Room Cancellation.
- If you need to cancel a request, please do so at the earliest possible date.
If you have questions or need help making or cancelling a room request, call 941-861-1110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.