Our 2018 Summer at Your Library program has officially begun! Now through Aug. 4, stop by any Sarasota County Library to pick up your reading logs or participate in our virtual program through Beanstack.
Our theme this year is Libraries Rock! so get ready to read and rock on all summer long!
Reading with the Rays
Pick up a game card at your library and keep track of the hours you read. Read your way around the bases, bring the game card to any Sarasota County Library and receive prizes from the Rays. Read 24 hours total to make it to the home plate and receive two free tickets to a Rays home game. For more information, visit the official site.
Free Summer Food Program
The Campaign Against Summer Hunger program sponsored by All Faiths Food Bank returns this summer at the library. Backpack bags will be available at all Sarasota County Libraries with the exception of Osprey Library at Historic Spanish Point.
Lunch will be served at the following locations:
- Elsie Quirk Library
- North Port Library
- Selby Library
Locate free food throughout Sarasota County.
For more information, visit All Faiths Food Bank or contact the Sarasota Contact Center at 941-861-5000.
Research shows that reading books and sharing stories with your child
is one of the best ways to help them enter school with the language
skills they need to be ready to learn and grow. 1,000 Books before
kindergarten will ensure that your child is on the path to success.
Here's how to participate:
- Pick up a reading log at the Youth desk in the library or
participate online with Beanstack, our reading portal.
- Check off the log next to the number of books you have read or
write down the titles of books you have read to your child.
Remember to include stories that your child hears at preschool,
library story time, chapter books you read together, e-books and
audiobooks, bedtime stories - any and all books and stories
- When you've filled out 25 books, bring the completed log back to
the library so that we can record it, and you will receive a new log.
- Children will receive a sticker or badge (if participating online) for
every 25 books read. After 100 books read, they will receive a
- If you read 4 books a week, your child will have read 1,000 books
in five years!
Every Child Ready to Read
Help your child get ready to read with these simple activities every day:
Join our Every Child Ready to Read Facebook Group.
Also, check the Libraries' Facebook page weekly for new children's books and fun literacy tips!
Web Resources and Links
ABCmouse (Only available at the library) - Helps kids learn through
phonics, and teaches lessons in math, social studies, art, music and much more.
Beanstack - Reading portal for virtual reading programs. Kids' eReading Room from OverDrive - eBooks and eAudiobooks
just for children.
- Picture Books - Explore our catalog of picture books.
- AR BookFinder - Search for books with corresponding Renaissance Accelerated Reader using Bookfinder.
- Reading Counts - Search for books that are supported by Reading Counts! quizzes by title, author, Lexile measure and other criteria.
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award: Grades K-2
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6-8
- NoveList K-8 Plus - A database of reading recommendations for young readers, searchable by level and interest.
- World Book Online for Kids - The encyclopedia you love but online!
- Sarasota County Schools Library Catalog - Search the catalog of books at your school.
- All About Sarasota Kids - Your connection to all that your community has to offer you and your child.
- PowerMyLearning - Free online learning games and activities for K-12 students, parents and educators.
Storycasts are podcasts and YouTube videos of children's stories, crafts, teen book reviews and author interviews. Visit the Storycasts page to see and hear them all.
Through the Born to Read program, the library system partners with community agencies to ensure all children are ready to read. For more information, call 941-861-2506 or email BorntoRead@scgov.net.