Help your child get ready to read with these simple activities every day:
Come to the library to discover books, music and programs to help!
Join our Every Child Ready to Read Facebook Group.
Also, check the Libraries' Facebook page weekly for new children's books and fun literacy tips!
Research shows that reading books and sharing stories with your child is one of the best ways to help them enter school with the language skills they need to be ready to learn and grow. 1,000 Books before kindergarten will ensure that your child is on the path to success.
Here's how to participate:
- Pick up a reading log at the Youth desk in the library or
participate online with Beanstack, our reading portal.
- Check off the log next to the number of books you have read or
write down the titles of books you have read to your child.
Remember to include stories that your child hears at preschool,
library story time, chapter books you read together, e-books and
audiobooks, bedtime stories - any and all books and stories
- When you've filled out 25 books, bring the completed log back to
the library so that we can record it, and you will receive a new log.
- Children will receive a sticker or badge (if participating online) for
every 25 books read. After 100 books read, they will receive a
- If you read 4 books a week, your child will have read 1,000 books
in five years!
ABCmouse (Only available at the library) - Helps kids learn with
phonics, and teaches lessons in math, social studies, art, music and much more.
Beanstack - Reading portal for virtual reading programs. Khan Academy - Expert-created content and resources for every
subject and level.
Kids' eReading Room from OverDrive - eBooks and eAudiobooks
just for children.
- Picture Books - Explore our catalog of picture books.
- AR BookFinder - Search for books with corresponding Renaissance Accelerated Reader using Bookfinder.
- Reading Counts - Search for books that are supported by Reading Counts! quizzes by title, author, Lexile measure and other criteria.
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award: Grades K-2
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6-8
- NoveList K-8 Plus - A database of reading recommendations for young readers, searchable by level and interest.
- World Book Online for Kids - The encyclopedia you love but online!
- Sarasota County Schools Library Catalog - Search the catalog of books at your school.
- All About Sarasota Kids - Your connection to all that your community has to offer you and your child.
- PowerMyLearning - Free online learning games and activities for K-12 students, parents and educators.
- UCF Diversity Family Database - Explore bibliographies that empower children with materials that reflect their families.
Summer at Your Library
Our Summer at your Library Program returns Monday, June 3 - Saturday, August 3. Explore, read, learn and attend fun events for all ages.
Download our Activity Guide and get ready to explore "A Universe of Stories!"
Find kid-friendly events at your library!
Resource Spotlight: ABCmouse
ABCmouse helps kids learn through phonics, and teaches lessons in math, social studies, art, music and much more (Only available at the library)