Every Child Ready to Read
Help your child get ready to read with these simple activities every day:
Join our Every Child Ready to Read Facebook Group.
Also, check the Libraries' Facebook page weekly for new children's books and fun literacy tips!
Research shows that reading books and sharing stories with your child
is one of the best ways to help them enter school with the language
skills they need to be ready to learn and grow. 1,000 Books before
kindergarten will ensure that your child is on the path to success.
Here's how to participate:
- Pick up a reading log at the Youth desk in the library or
participate online with Beanstack, our reading portal.
- Check off the log next to the number of books you have read or
write down the titles of books you have read to your child.
Remember to include stories that your child hears at preschool,
library story time, chapter books you read together, e-books and
audiobooks, bedtime stories - any and all books and stories
- When you've filled out 25 books, bring the completed log back to
the library so that we can record it, and you will receive a new log.
- Children will receive a sticker or badge (if participating online) for
every 25 books read. After 100 books read, they will receive a
- If you read 4 books a week, your child will have read 1,000 books
in five years!
Web Resources and Links
ABCmouse (Only available at the library) - Helps kids learn through
phonics, and teaches lessons in math, social studies, art, music and much more.
Access Video on Demand for Kids - Educational videos on a wide variety of topics
such as health, science, reading, history, math, technology, and more.
Beanstack - Reading portal for virtual reading programs. Khan Academy - Expert-created content and resources for every subject
Kids' eReading Room from OverDrive - eBooks and eAudiobooks
just for children.
- Picture Books - Explore our catalog of picture books.
- AR BookFinder - Search for books with corresponding Renaissance Accelerated Reader using Bookfinder.
- Reading Counts - Search for books that are supported by Reading Counts! quizzes by title, author, Lexile measure and other criteria.
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award: Grades K-2
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6-8
- NoveList K-8 Plus - A database of reading recommendations for young readers, searchable by level and interest.
- World Book Online for Kids - The encyclopedia you love but online!
- Sarasota County Schools Library Catalog - Search the catalog of books at your school.
- All About Sarasota Kids - Your connection to all that your community has to offer you and your child.
- PowerMyLearning - Free online learning games and activities for K-12 students, parents and educators.
- UCF Diversity Family Database - Explore bibliographies that empower children with materials that reflect their families.
Storycasts are podcasts and YouTube videos of children's stories, crafts, teen book reviews and author interviews. Visit the Storycasts page to see and hear them all.
Through the Born to Read program, the library system partners with community agencies to ensure all children are ready to read. For more information, call 941-861-2506 or email BorntoRead@scgov.net.