Sarasota County Government Safety and Risk Management offers insurance, risk management and safety services to the County Commissioners and Constitutional Offices.
- Our main objective is to mitigate risk through effective safety education and training, risk management consultation, transfer of risk and claims administration.
- These services enhance efforts to provide a safe and healthy environment for our employees and members of the public.
Property Damage or Injury ClaimsIf you believe you have been injured or sustained property damage as a result of something the county did or did not do, complete the online form by clicking the link below. Following submission of the claim, a county claims adjuster will investigate your claim and provide you with a written liability determination.
Any person who knowingly and with intent to injure, defraud, or deceive any insurer, files a statement of claim or an application containing any false, incomplete, or misleading information is guilty of a felony as established under Florida Statute 817.234.
Insurance for Vendors
All vendors who provide services for Sarasota County must have appropriate insurance. Insurance protects the county and taxpayers by transferring the risk associated with services and work to a third party.
County staff is responsible for ensuring the vendors they hire have the required coverage.
The amount of insurance the vendor must carry is determined by the risk involved in the work being performed. Below is some general information concerning the County’s requirements. For specific coverage and amounts please refer to the bid documents or any communications from County staff as to the requirements for that service.
Standard requirements for most services are:
- General Liability - $1,000,000 each occurrence / $2,000,000 aggregate.
- Auto Liability - $500,000 Combined Single Limit.
- Workers Compensation – Statutory; $100,000 Employers Liability.
- Sarasota County Government listed as an additional insured.
Additional limits and specialized coverage requirements may be required for certain types of services or specific risk factors, including but not limited to:
- Construction Services.
- Consulting and/or Professional Services.
- Selling or distribution of liquor.
- County Property in care, custody and control of vendor.
- Use of aircraft, watercraft, or drones.
- Exposure to pollutants or hazardous materials (including pesticides/herbicides).
- Work performed on or adjacent to navigable waterway.
Insurance certificates should be provided directly to the County staff listed in the bid or contract documents, or whomever provided the specific requirements.
Questions concerning the County’s insurance requirements can be addressed to the Safety & Risk Management department by calling 941-861-5000 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.