How to Conduct Research with Us
Historical Resources offers a wide variety of resources for your exploration and enjoyment. However, to make sure that others can enjoy them as well, we do everything in our power to provide a safe, clean, and usable space for research. If you are interested in conducting research with Historical Resources' collections, here are some things that you need to know.
- We have set research hours Monday through Thursday.
- Monday: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Tuesday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Thursday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Friday: Closed
- We strongly recommend making an appointment with our staff. We ask that appointments be made at least two business days in advance so that we can plan for your research needs. This helps us ensure that the right staff and materials are available to you and helps you to have a smoother research experience.
- Upon arrival, each person must fill out a Research Inquiry Form. This helps us to identify which collections materials will be the most helpful to your particular research question.
- All jackets and bags must be stored in the provided lockers.
- No foods or liquids are allowed in the Reading Room. These are very harmful to collections materials and attract pests.
Historical Resources is able to provide photocopies and scans of many collections materials. However, we cannot scan large items in-house due to the size of our available scanners.
If you want collections materials scanned to take home, you must provide staff members with a brand new, unused flash drive. Historical Resources staff are not permitted to plug used flash drives into our county computers.
If you have a smart phone or digital camera, we allow you to take pictures for personal research purposes only
If you plan to use our collections materials, here are some important things to know.
- Sarasota County Historical Resources expressly prohibits the copying of any protected materials on this website, except for limited non-commercial, education, and personal use only, or for fair use as defined in the U.S. copyright laws.
- Images from Historical Resources' collections cannot be used for publication or commercial use without prior written permission from Historical Resources. Certain images on this website may be protected by copyright, trademark, rights of privacy/publicist, or related interests by one or more third parties.
- Historical Resources cannot grant permission or supply images for works from other collections or institutions. Any permission granted by Historical Resources extends only to the rights held by Historical Resources on the images.
- Historical Resources makes no representation or warranty whatsoever as to whether any image may be produced or used for any purpose, and the licensee shall have sole responsibility for ascertaining whether any additional permission or consents are required and for obtaining all such permissions and consents.