County Demographics and Statistics
Sarasota County is located in the southwestern part of the Florida peninsula on the Gulf of Mexico, between Manatee and Charlotte counties. Our economy is largely service-oriented, driven by tourism and the migration of retirees, with the major industries including health care, retail trade, and hospitality.
The 2017 population of the county is estimated to be approximately 407,000 permanent residents. During the winter months, however, the local population can increase to over 500,000.
Then and Now
In December 2017, the U.S. Census Bureau released its 2012-2016 5-year estimates of the American Community Survey (ACS). These estimates compile surveys of residents in a geographic area over a period of five years. The ACS program first released 5-year estimates in 2010 for the period of 2005-2009.
How has Sarasota County changed since the first 5-year estimates from the ACS were released? View the full infographic here.
- Demographic SNAPshot Jan 2018 - Then And Now
- Demographic SNAPshot Sept 2017 - The Youth Population
- Demographic SNAPshot May 2017 - Who is Sarasota County
- Demographic SNAPshot Feb 2017 - Housing Affordability
- Demographic SNAPshot Jan 2017 - Employment Growth and Wages
- Demographic SNAPshot Aug2016 - Labor Day
- Demographic SNAPshot April 2016 - Earth Day
- Demographic SNAPshot Mar 2016 - Employment, Wages and Housing Affordability
- Demographic SNAPshot Dec 2015 - Then and Now
- Demographic SNAPshot Nov 2015 - Veterans
- Demographic SNAPShot Aug 2015 - Back to School
- Demographic SNAPshot May 2015 - Hurricane season
- Demographic SNAPshot April 2015 - Summary Stats
- Civic Engagement