County Demographics and Statistics
Sarasota County is located in the southwestern part of the Florida peninsula on the Gulf of Mexico, between Manatee and Charlotte counties. Our economy is largely service-oriented, driven by tourism and the migration of retirees, with the major industries including health care, retail trade, and hospitality.
The 2017 population of the county is estimated to be approximately 407,000 permanent residents. During the winter months, however, the local population can increase to over 500,000.
Then and Now
In December 2017, the U.S. Census Bureau released its 2012-2016 5-year estimates of the American Community Survey (ACS). These estimates compile surveys of residents in a geographic area over a period of five years. The ACS program first released 5-year estimates in 2010 for the period of 2005-2009.
How has Sarasota County changed since the first 5-year estimates from the ACS were released? View the full infographic here.
- Demographic Summary for Sarasota County, 2017
- Demographic Summary for Unincorporated Sarasota County, 2017
- Household Income Profile for Sarasota County, 2017
- Household Income Profile for Unincorporated Sarasota County, 2017
- Business Summary for Sarasota County, 2017
- Business Summary for Unincorporated Sarasota County, 2017
- Population Estimates, 2000-2017
- Population by Race and Ethnicity, 2016-2045
- Population Pyramid
- Population by Age, 2016-2045
- Population Projections, 2020-2045
- Educational Attainment
- Residential Building Permits Trends
- Employment Clusters and Growth 2010-2015
- Top Growing Occupations
- Change in Employment - Recession and Recovery