Demolition and Renovation Inspections: Solid Waste
Friable Asbestos (any asbestos-containing materials that, when dry, may be crumbled, pulverized or reduced to powder by hand pressure) - $75/ton.
Asbestos must be:
- sprayed with water until wet
- tied off
- placed in a covered container.
Non-friable Asbestos (any asbestos-containing materials that remain solid when handled) - $57.56/ton.
Minimum Fee For All Vehicles - $10 each.
Asbestos must be sprayed with water until wet, then placed in a covered container. Note: No asbestos will be accepted after 3 p.m. Monday-Friday, on Saturday or on holidays.
Haulers must have the proper manifests and call 24 hours in advance. Haulers must submit a completed Waste Shipment Record (WSR), available at the following locations:
North County Air and Water Quality Protection
1001 Sarasota Center Blvd.,
Sarasota, FL 34240
South County Landfill Administration Office
4000 Knights Trail Road,
Nokomis, FL 34275
Method of payment
- Cash, Visa, MasterCard and Discover or a Debit Card with a bank logo on it.
- No business or personal checks.
The Florida Forest Service (FFS) has exclusive authority to permit agricultural, silviculture, land clearing and prescribed burns. The FFS maintains a statewide map, updated daily, with wildfires and all authorized burns. If you have an FFS authorized burn, you no longer are required to notify Sarasota County. You should notify your local fire department. The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services webpage provides an interactive map of current active wildfires.
Burn authorizations are issued by the Florida Forest Service.
- Burning of yard debris, fallen branches, trimmed branches, leaves or debris from routine property cleanup is prohibited in Sarasota County.
- This material is to be recycled or mulched.
- This material is to be recycled or mulched.
- Cooking with an open fire is allowed if contained in a grill, camping stove, or similar device designed solely for cooking food and only uses approved fuels (i.e. charcoal, natural gas, clean wood).
- Recreational fires are allowed as long as they are safe and meet the restrictions in the code, which are summarized in the open burning pamphlet.
- Ceremonial burning with an open fire is allowed as long as the ceremonial fire is conducted by a recognized organization (for example scouts, schools, etc.).
A burn authorization may be issued by the Florida Forest Service (FFS) for broadcast burning, agricultural and silvicultural pile burning, and burning of land clearing debris. Please contact the local FFS office at 941-213-6970 to obtain burn authorizations.
Delegated Domestic Wastewater Program
Proper treatment and reuse or disposal of domestic wastewater is essential for protecting water. Air and Water Quality has delegated authority over Domestic Wastewater in Sarasota County and works with wastewater utilities and the citizens of Sarasota County to protect and conserve our water resources. Have additional questions? Contact Air and Water Quality.
Rain Barrel Program
Sarasota County partners with UF/IFAS Extension to hold monthly rain barrel workshops and sales events. Classes are about an hour. To register for upcoming classes, visit http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/.
- Rain Barrels are available for purchase after the monthly workshops.
- Each barrel is $37, including tax.
- Payment is by check or cash only.
- January 20, 2018, 10 a.m., at Woodmere Park
- February 17, 2018, 10 a.m., at Twin Lakes Park
- March 17, 2018, 10 a.m., at Longwood Park
- April 21, 2018, 10 a.m., at Shannon Staub Library
- May 19, 2018, 10 a.m., at Englewood Sports Complex
- June 16, 2018, 10 a.m., at Twin Lakes Park
- July 21, 2018, 10 a.m., at Shannon Staub Library
- August 18, 2018, 10 a.m., at Twin Lakes Park
- September 15, 2018, 10 a.m., at Longwood Park
- October 20, 2018, 10 a.m., at Twin Lakes Park
- November 17,2018, 10 a.m., at Englewood Sports Complex
- December 8, 2018, 10 a.m., at Twin Lakes Park
Water Pollution Prevention
Help protect our water resources
Our water resources are one of the reasons that Sarasota is such a special place to live. Every resident and visitor has a role to play in protecting our resources, and what you do on your property does make a difference. For information on Best Management Practices or to report spills, call 861-5000.
Underground Storage Tank Program
Air and Water Quality administers an underground storage tank program through a contract with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. The goal of the program is to ensure that sites contaminated with petroleum products are cleaned in accordance with state requirements in order to protect our drinking water supplies and, if necessary, return those sites to their full potential value.
Under this contract, the county conducts annual inspections of facilities with regulated storage tanks and provides technical and fiscal oversight of site assessment and cleanup. Please call 861-5000 and ask for the air and water quality specialist to learn more about this program.
- 2017 Rain Barrel Workshops
- Asbestos Consultants
- Asbestos Exemption Form
- Asbestos Identification, Notification and Handling Requirements
- Asbestos Regulation FAQs
- Construction and Demolition Hazardous Waste Guidance Document
- Notice of Asbestos Renovation or Demolition
- Open Burning Informaion
- Pollution Concern Form
- Pollution Prevention Best Management Practices
- Rainbarrel FAQs
- Water Pollution Control Code