Safe Sleep Awareness Month
Recognition Request Guidelines
Proclamations and Certificates of Recognition are ceremonial documents issued by the Sarasota County Commission. The Commission honors and celebrates events, recognizes achievements, or increases public awareness of noteworthy causes.
Proclamations recognize a specific day, week or month that holds local, statewide or national significance or serves an educational purpose for a significant number of residents.
- Personal proclamations for individuals or businesses will not be accepted.
- Individual accomplishments of local significance are more appropriately recognized with a Certificate of Recognition or congratulatory letter.
- Requests must be submitted by a Sarasota County resident or group.
- An organization does not have exclusive rights to the day, week or month of their proclamation.
- Proclamations are not automatically renewed - requests must be made on an annual basis.
- Multiple requests by an organization may not be honored in the same calendar year.
- Requests that are similar to already issued proclamations may be declined.
Recognitions will not be issued for:
- Matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual convictions;
- Anything that may suggest an official county position on a matter under consideration;
- Events or organizations with no direct relationship to Sarasota County;
- Campaigns or events contrary to Sarasota County policy or to the well being of its citizens.
Submitting a Request
Request must include:
- Your contact information and a list of those who will accept the recognition;
- Background info on the event or organization, draft text (to include three "whereas" clauses for a proclamation);
- Day, week or month to be proclaimed (or the event or organization to be recognized);
- How you would like to receive the document (at a Commission meeting; special event; by mail or in person) and date needed.
If you are requesting recognition at a Commission meeting, you may check the County Calendar and request a date; we will try to accommodate requests.
If you are requesting recognition at an event (subject to Commissioner availability), please provide the date and description of the event.
If you do not wish to have the recognition presented by the Commission, please provide a mailing address.