Former state senator Nancy Detert was elected to the Sarasota County Commission in 2016. Detert has served in the Florida House of Representatives (1998-2006) and Florida Senate (2008-2016). Her other public service includes the Sarasota County School Board (1988-1992), Enterprise Florida Board of Directors (2009), Florida Commission on Tourism (2009) and Department of Education (Commission on Leadership for High Needs Districts, 2009).
Detert attended Siena Heights University in Michigan and moved to Florida in 1978. She is related to Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. She has three children: Mark, Bryan and Jamie.
Honors and Awards
- City of Venice, Pillar of the Community Award, 2015.
- Florida Chamber of Commerce, Distinguished Advocate Award, 2015.
- Florida League of Cities, Legislative Distinction Award, 2014.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Legislator of the Year Award, 2014.
- Guardian ad Litem, Children's Champion, 2014.
- Sarasota County Community Youth Development, Leadership Award, 2014.
- Arts & Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County, Arts Education Leadership Award, 2014
- Florida PTA's Legislator of the Year, 2013
- Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section Champion of Justice Independence Award, 2011
- Sarasota County Bar Association Distinguished Service Award, 2010-2011
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc., FL Gulf Coast Chapter, ABC "Free Enterprise" Award, 2010.
- Florida Music Educators' Association, Friend of Music Education Award, 2010.
- Florida Art Education Association, Friend of Art Education Award, 2009.
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., Friend of Free Enterprise, 2009.
- Florida School Boards Association, Inc., Legislator of the Year, 2009, 2002, 1999.
- Florida Association of Conventions and Visitors Bureaus, Legislator of the Year, 2004.
- Florida Economic Development Council, Inc., Legislator of the Year Award, 2004.
- Florida Housing Coalition, Legislator of the Year, 2004, 2003.
- National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, Florida Chapter, "Florida Heroes Awards", 2004.
- Sarasota Office of Housing and Community Development Award, 2004.
- Florida Association of Museums, Museum Service Award, 2003.
- Florida Bankers Association, Leadership Award, 2003.
- Florida Boys and Girls Club, Recognition of Service, 2002.
- Florida Funeral Directors, Legislator of the Year, 2002.
- Funeral and Cemetery Alliance of Florida, Outstanding Legislator of the Year, 2002.
- Florida Association of Mortgage Brokers, Legislator of the Year, 2001.
- Florida Association of Technical Educators, Legislator of the Year, 2001.
- Ranked by The Miami Herald as one of the Top 25 State Legislators for her "sound policy objectives and behind the scenes work"
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Legislator of the Year, 2000
- Florida Association of School Administrators, Legislator of the Year, 2000.
- Girls, Inc., "She Knows Where She's Going" Award, 2000
- Gulf Coast Marine Institute, Legislator of the Year, 2000
- Sarasota Classified/Teachers Association, Legislator of the Year, 2000.
- Florida Association of School Social Workers, Legislator of the Year, 1999.
- Women of Distinction, Award for Finance, 1998
- Venice Area Chamber of Commerce, Small Business of the Year Award, 1993.
Commissioners are elected at large for four-year terms. Sarasota County is divided into five districts and commissioners are designated by the district where they live.