County operated beaches will close Saturday
In continued efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our community, and in alignment with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, Sarasota County will close county operated public beaches at 6 a.m. Saturday, March 21.
Lifeguards will remain on duty at the beaches between 10 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. daily in order to ensure the safety of those who continue to visit the beaches. A double red flag, indicating no swimming, will be flying from lifeguard stands.
Lifeguards will continue to work with law enforcement partners to proactively educate and interact with beachgoers. This is an effort to keep beachgoers informed on the current direction from Governor Ron DeSantis and other beach policies.
Reminders about Sarasota County Government closures include:
- Water service shut-offs for non-payment of utilities bills are waived through April 13.
- The Sarasota Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller urges the community to continue practicing social distancing by utilizing on-line services, pay-by-phone, or mail service.
- The Sarasota County Tax Collector is also reminding patrons that motor vehicle, driver's license and tax transactions must be completed online. And, deadlines have been extended to renew driver's license, commercial driver's license and identification cards that are expiring between March 16 and April 15.
- The Sarasota County Property Appraiser's Office is also closing all three office locations to the public on March 20, but will remain staffed. Online services, telephone operations, electronic and physical mail will remain available and reviewed by property appraiser staff.
- All Sarasota County libraries will remain closed through April 12.
- Libraries' staff are establishing a curbside pick-up option for items placed on hold through the online catalogue.
- The digital library is available for library cardholders to access books, magazines, movies, music and television programs. Those needing to register for a new card, or renew an existing library card, can do so by calling the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.
- All indoor facilities operated by Sarasota County Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources have been closed to the public.
- The community can sign up to receive text alerts about county updates related to COVID-19 by texting SRQCOVID19 to 888-777.
For any other questions related to COVID-19 in Florida, please contact the DOH dedicated COVID-19 call center at 866-779-6121 or email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Sarasota County Government, call 941-861-5000.