If you have questions, requests, comments, compliments or concerns about Sarasota County you can connect with us in multiple ways.
Provides live coverage of county/city Commission meetings and work sessions as well as programming about county/city programs and services.
For media inquiries, please call 941-861-NEWS (6397) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The public should call 941-861-5000 for information about any county business. Sarasota County government routinely advises the media of upcoming meetings, events and news.
For information about public records or to make a request, call 941-861-5886 or contact email@example.com.
Sarasota County's annual report of the projects, programs and initiatives undertaken during the previous year, along with financial information to demonstrate the county's stewardship of taxpayer funds, is now available.
Sarasota County Commission FY2020 Budget Workshop Update
The final steps in the process begin first when the property appraiser releases preliminary property values in June. Second, the board hosts budget workshops to hear updates from county departments and elected officials, provide guidance on the proposed budget and hear public comment. Third, a final budget workshop is planned in August for a final review of the proposed budget. Lastly, two public hearings are then scheduled for September to hear public comment on tax rates and the proposed budget. The budget is officially adopted at the second public hearing and begins on October 1.
Budget Workshops: During budget workshops on June 18 and 19, the commissioners received presentations from county departments and constitutional offices. The proposed budget for fiscal year 2020 is $1.2 billion, which includes operational and capital allocations. Commissioners approved the following action items:
- Libraries and Historical Resources to initiate a pilot program beginning next year that will allow two libraries to operate Sunday hours.
- Public Utilities to return with the cost, process and expected timeline to upgrade the Bee Ridge Wastewater Treatment Facility to an advanced wastewater treatment plant.
- Planning and Development Services to plan a workshop for Affordable Housing.
- County staff to coordinate with the District 12 Medical Examiner on identifying a potential facility.
- Public Works to provide public outreach regarding North Casey Key Road improvements.
- Economic Development to identify roles and responsibilities for an Economic Development Incentive Program.
- Communications to explore opportunities for establishing a creative advertising budget.
- County and city staff to coordinate an update on downtown city parking.
- County staff to assess the former Siesta Key Sheriff’s Office parcel for potential use as parking or trolley services.
The final budget workshop is scheduled for August 21 for a last review of the proposed budget. If you missed the June budget workshops, remember, all commission meetings are available for viewing at scgov.net, on Comcast channel 19 and Frontier channel 32.
|June Budget Workshop Recap:|
For additional information or question on the county budget cycle, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000.