Water Quality Summit speakers announced
More than 30 speakers and exhibitors from around Florida are scheduled for Sarasota County's Water Quality Summit on June 5, joining the discussion of how to protect one of our most important resources.
Speakers include representatives from the Florida legislature, state agencies, Mote Marine Laboratory, University of Florida, Sarasota Bay Estuary Program, Southwest Florida Water Management District, Sarasota County and local municipalities. For a complete list of speakers, visit scgov.net/waterqualitysummit
"On June 5, our community will come together in one place to learn, connect and engage with experts on this important issue," said Lee-Hayes Byron, director of Sarasota County UF/IFAS Extension and Sustainability. "The Water Quality Summit provides an opportunity to better understand the science, what has been done, what will be done and ways the community can positively impact water quality at home."
The Water Quality Summit is segmented into four sessions, each addressing vital components of this top board priority with question and answer periods during each session. Attendees will also have the opportunity to visit with over 13 exhibitors. Welcome and opening remarks will begin promptly at 1 p.m., followed by these informational sessions:
- The Science Behind Water Quality, 1:15 p.m.
- A review of red tide, nutrients, landscape practices and wastewater conveyance systems.
- What Has Already Been Done to Improve Water Quality, 2:10 p.m.
- A look at past, current and future local government and nonprofit projects.
- What You Can Do to Improve Water Quality, 3:50 p.m.
- Learn about actions businesses, neighborhoods and individuals can take.
- State Policy Update, 4:45 p.m.
- Discussion of policies, plans and results from the latest Florida legislative session.
- Visit with exhibitors and speakers, 5:30 p.m.
Sessions are optional, registration is required as seating may be limited. The Water Quality Summit will be from 1-6:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 5 in the Review High School auditorium, 1 Ram Way, Sarasota.