Burn authorizations are issued by the Florida Forest Service.
- Burning of yard debris, fallen branches, trimmed branches, leaves or debris from routine property cleanup is prohibited in Sarasota County.
- This material is to be recycled or mulched.
- Cooking with an open fire is allowed if contained in a grill, camping stove, or similar device designed solely for cooking food and only uses approved fuels (i.e. charcoal, natural gas, clean wood).
- Recreational fires are allowed as long as they are safe and meet the restrictions in the code, which are summarized in the below open burning pamphlet.
- Ceremonial burning with an open fire is allowed as long as the ceremonial fire is conducted by a recognized organization (for example scouts, schools, etc.).
- A burn authorization may be issued by the Florida Forest Service (FFS) for broadcast burning, agricultural and silvicultural pile burning, and burning of land clearing debris.
- Please contact the local FFS office at 941-213-6970 to obtain burn authorizations.
Note: Sarasota County amended Section 54-116 ‘Open Burning’ of the Sarasota County Code in February of 2015. A pamphlet is available to download below as a guide for cooking and recreational fires.